The half marathon of my wildest dreams

I confess I was a little nervous this morning when the alarm woke me at 4:45 AM. I’d been feeling the usual taper trauma: Did I train enough? Did I overtrain? Did I peak two weeks ago? Did I mess everything up by doing that tough uphill-and-snow hike last Monday when I should have been seriously tapering? Am I way over-analyzing this whole thing? You get the drift.

The weather forecast looked promising. We’d had rain on and off all week, and wind when it wasn’t raining, but this morning was calm with high clouds. It was a bit chilly at 47, but would probably be in the mid 50s by the finish line.

I had breakfast (coffee, a hardboiled egg, and plain yogurt with chopped dates, apricots, and pine nuts) done by 6:00. Then I spent 90 minutes triple-checking my clothing, my gear, my race number bib, and my timing chip to make triple-sure that everything was where it was supposed to be and was likely to stay there. A friend then drove me to the starting place and we arrived about 8:00, still an hour before race time. Only when I was finally there did I settle down and relax a bit.

Based on my great 11-mile run two weeks ago I thought I had a realistic chance of finishing in less than 2 hours and 30 minutes. I was secretly hoping for less than 2:27, which would beat my last race (and last personal record) by 10 minutes. To do that I needed an average 11:10 pace, so I decided to go out at 11:00 and see how things were feeling.

Everything worked better than I could have imagined in my wildest dreams. All of the hill training, both running and hiking, REALLY paid off for me. I sailed up hills where everyone around me was walking. I hit the halfway point at 1 hour and 10 minutes, which is a 10:41 pace. I figured I probably couldn’t sustain that speed for the second half, but then I kept running up hills and passing people. I had to walk for all of about three paces on mile 7 at the last steep hill, simply because there were so many walkers that I couldn’t steer around all of them fast enough.

By the time I passed mile 8, I was into the section of trail where I do most of my running. The last five miles are either slightly downhill or flat. My only real concern here was possible wind along the waterfront, but that didn’t happen. I sped up and passed more people. I did miles 9 through 12 in the 10-minute range each, and I ran the last mile in 9:23. I ran the ENTIRE 13.1 miles except for those three walking steps.

It helped that at just under half a mile from the finish my iPhone randomly shuffled to the theme song from “Chariots of Fire.” Talk about inspiration!

With that song in my ears I finished in 2:16:10 per my watch. That is a 10:24 average pace, and yes I had a big negative split (faster second half)!

My “gun time” was two minutes slower than that. For non-runners, gun time is the time from the official start until a runner crosses the finish line, whereas “net time” is the elapsed time from the point that I actually cross the starting line to the finish line. Because I had several hundred runners lined up ahead of me at the start, it took me a full two minutes to reach the starting line after the gun sounded.

I’ve never been particularly concerned about gun time because it only really counts for determining finish order for awards. Slow happy runner that I am, I’ve always figured that the only way I’d ever win a gender/age group award was if I keep running until I’m about 85 or so. When the gun time results were posted, I had to scan through the list three or four times before I could fully convince myself that I’d taken third place in my class. I TROPHIED!!!!!!!!

Well, I should say that I plaqued. Here I am, not so slow and very happy, with my totally awesome 3rd place plaque.

As always, our local race had great volunteers and wonderful spectator support all along the course, even in the parts that are tough to reach from the road. I had friends popping up at several places, and more friends waiting for me at the finish. It’s a whole lot easier to run a race when friends are there to cheer you on — thanks to all of you for your help and support!

Last year I dragged myself over the finish line in 2:55; today I think I could have kept running for another mile or two. I’m not sure how I’m going to top this one.


Posted on June 3, 2012, in Running and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink. 22 Comments.

  1. How exciting, Lori! Really great! It had to be all that wonderful practicing. You have really been so faithful to run in rugged conditions and under some adverse circumstances, so it looks to me like all of that really paid off. Enjoy your victory! You’ll have me now quite curious as to the “what’s next?” Sorry…savor this one first. LOL! Debra

    • Debra,

      It really helped that I’m “post-corporate” and had lots of time for training! But yes, I did make a point of training specifically on things I’ve found difficult in the past.

      “What’s next” will be the staged marathon Alaska cruise at the end of July. I’ve got two months to learn how to run on dirt/gravel trails! I can’t wait to get going with that, but I do plan to take it very easy this week.


  2. Wow! Wow! Wow! Yippee!! You had been so cautiously optimistic going into this; I KNEW you would do fantastically. I tried checking for results online, but they weren’t there. My brain was in Washington today– with you in PA, and Mark, who flew into Seatac, then going to Edmonds, where he’s doing a museum assessment tomorrow. You’re a true inspiration, my friend.

    • Colleen,

      The results have been posted, but you do have to search a little for them. I’ll send you a link via email. Too bad Mark’s on “the other side of the water.” It would have been fun to see him while he’s here, but Edmonds is a day trip for me.


  3. Absolutely fantastic, well done Lori and a trophy too!!!!

  4. What a great finish, Lori!!!!! A wonderful feeling!!

    Bob and Carlene

  5. Fantastic!!!! Congrats on an awesome race!!! {doin’ tha happy dance for you!}

  6. way to go!

  7. Congratulations ! You really worked for that, physically and emotionally. Negative splits are always stimulation; ‘trophys’ are always satisfying !


    • Bruce,

      I did work hard for it, and it’s so gratifying to see such great results for that work. It was a wonderful feeling to realize that I was faster at the very end than everyone else in my immediate vicinity.


  8. How awesome is that?! Biggest congrats ever to you, Lori! Wow! You killed it. You look super duper happy in that pic, as you should. I hope you treated yourself like a queen after that great run. You’re such an inspiration! Keep it up. 🙂

  9. Randall Goddard

    What an inspirational post and awesome photo. I’ve never seen you look happier — it made me smile just looking at you! Congratuations!!!!

  10. Lori,
    What an accomplishment!!! You are an inspiration to all of us fat lazy do nothings. I am really proud of you, and the I will toast you the next time I’m sitting in my lazy chair opening a beer.

    • Doug,

      You do have a unique way with compliments!

      In any case I hope you’ve gleaned that one of the great things about running is that afterwards I can pretty much consume whatever I want to — beer, ice cream, mega-sized cookies, whatever! So I’ll be thinking of you in your recliner next time I’m out running. Enjoy that beer!



  11. WOOOHOOO!!!! Congrats!!!! Awesome pic too!!!!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: