There’s no place like home

4000 miles and two weeks later, I am home.

I am not bi-platial by nature; buying the condo in the desert was Kurt’s idea, his dream, and I went along with it after he told me just how hard the Pacific Northwest winters were on him.

I spent four nights in the condo this past week, was utterly sad and lonely, had a headache almost the entire time, and hated the heat (not that we’d ever planned to be there in September). I do intend to spend this winter there because I have this place and can’t sell it, so I figure I might as well use it. Besides, I admit I don’t like dealing with ice and snow all that much myself, and I’m registered for two half marathons in the Coachella Valley, so I’m kind of committed to being there. I’m hoping that once I spend more time there on my own, it will start to feel more like a second home and less like a place of nothing but painful memories.

I wore myself out on the trip home, but got up this morning with optimistic expectations of a 10-mile run, which was going to be my last long run before the Victoria BC half marathon in two weeks. It was supposed to rain, so I put on a long-sleeved shirt. As it happened, it rained before and after my run but not during. I got warm, tired quickly and decided to call it a run at 7 miles. I have a history of peaking too soon before a race, and I fear that I’ve done it again. I am simply physically and emotionally exhausted after the travel without Kurt and all the land mines that blew up in my face every time I did anything new that we previously would have done together.

So I’m now in big-time taper mode, and will do only short, easy runs between now and the race on October 9. I may or may not achieve my target time, but with good quality rest, nutrition, and sleep, I think I can still manage a personal best for my slow happy running career.

I came home after my run and crashed. I took a long nap, and when I woke up I was surrounded by cats so I had to grab my iPhone and take a picture. I think Chips (on the right) and Salsa have forgiven me for going away. Phoebe was nearby as well but not close enough to get into this shot. It’s good to be home with my family!


Posted on September 25, 2011, in LIfe_goes_on, Running and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink. 5 Comments.

  1. Awesome photo! You all look so contented. That one’s a keeper for sure. 🙂

  2. Aw, so cute.

  3. Glad you made it home safely. Carlene and I really enjoyed our dinner the other night. The Time Line was great as was the weather. It made me get excited about cleaning up the 356 and getting it out. Look forward to seeing you again soon.


  4. Great picture, Lori!!Let us know how you do on the run in October, ok?
    Take care and keep in touch.

    Carlene and Bob

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s